Pregnancy and baby information are everywhere – but there's not a lot of information on the early postpartum period. This podcast is the first in a series of two covering what to expect postpartum so you're feeling confident and prepared about what you'll experience in your body, mind, and emotions.
In this episode I cover:
- What you can expect immediately postpartum
- How to create a safe 3rd stage with minimal bleeding
- Why your nurse or midwife may massage your uterus
- What is checked regularly postpartum (at hospital, birth center, and home births)
- Summary of postpartum medications and when to consider them
- What happens to your body in the early postpartum
- How you can use this time to bond well with your baby
Items mentioned in this podcast include:
- The Pope says to let them have breastmilk!
- Tips for Having a Natural Birth Infographic
- Corwin's birth story
- The Magical Hour
Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: A Doctor's Guide to Natural Childbirth and Gentle Early Parenting Choices[/raw]
- Find a Local La Leche League Leader and/or Group
Maternal and Child Health Nursing: Care of the Childbearing and Childrearing Family[/raw]
Holistic Midwifery: A Comprehensive Textbook for Midwives in Homebirth Practice, Vol. 2: Care of the Mother and Baby from the Onset of Labor Through the First Hours After Birth[/raw]
In the next podcast episode I'll cover more of what to expect in the early weeks postpartum as your body makes the full shift from pregnancy to breastfeeding!
(NOTE: Want a Perfect Birth Plan Template? Use this template and step-by-step videos to write a birth plan that gets your birth team on your side for a beautiful birth experience! Get the birth plan kit here.)