It's a rite of passage for babies: the newborn exam. What's checked during the exam? How is the exam done? This episode covers the basics, why you want to watch, and what you should ask.
In this episode I cover:
- What is the newborn exam?
- How does this exam differ from the APGAR
- Why you should be next to your baby during the examination
- What gestational age your baby is (and why that's important)
- A “head-to-toe” walkthrough of what's checked on your baby
- What to expect with head molding
- How to know your baby is breathing normally
- Umbilical cord issues
- When to ask for more details on anything you notice about your baby
Items mentioned in this podcast include: