Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS
They're so tiny you can't see them – but they have a huge influence on the health of your baby. Gut bacteria, part of the “microbiota” are just starting to be studied, and your baby's birth has a lifetime impact on how much they help – or hurt.
In this episode I cover:
- What is gut flora and the microbiome?
- Why the early moments of life are so important to gut flora
- Good bacteria levels skyrocket during pregnancy!
- The difference between microbiota during vaginal birth and cesarean section
- How newborn gut flora influences us for life
- How good microbiota can help your baby stay calm and happy
- Is a gut imbalance the root of chronic inflammation? Asthma?
- Healthy gut bacteria help fight illness
- Best steps to give your baby a healthy digestive system
- Why fingers need to stay away from the birth canal!
Right-click here to download the MP3
Items mentioned in this podcast include:
- Dr. Sloan's excellent article on gut microbiota and infant/child health
- Babies may be born with gut bacteria
- Great article by Karen Levy on infant microbiota
The tips, tools, and straight talk you want for pregnancy, childbirth, and bringing up baby