Staggering numbers of women will give birth through cesarean section this year – but nobody talks about the dangers of c-sections or why it's important to make sure surgery is truly needed before making the cut. Today's episode covers the real risks of surgical birth and why reversing the c-section trend is important to mamas, babies, and even future babies.
Topics I Cover in This Podcast:
- Why the cesarean epidemic really is a big problem
- Complications that happen much more commonly after c-section births
- Why infection is an issue with any surgery
- Recovery after c-section – much more painful than after vaginal birth
- Why are babies more at risk after surgical delivery?
- Chronic diseases such as asthma and Type 1 diabetes may be higher for kids born via section
- Complications unique to c-section and complications unique to vaginal birth
- How a c-section may impact your relationship with your little one
- The big secret: how a cesarean section impacts future pregnancies – and future babies
- The big lie: c-sections are not protecting your pelvic floor
- The overwhelming conclusion from the evidence
Things Mentioned on This Week's Podcast
- Pushed: The Painful Truth about Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care – Jennifer Block's investigation of modern maternity care sheds light on the cesarean epidemic and its dangers. This book is a great choice for dads-to-be who may feel skeptical about natural birth.
- What Every Pregnant Woman Needs to Know About Cesarean Section – This quick read from Childbirth Connection covers important points about c-section in easy-to-understand language
- Vaginal or Cesarean Birth: What is at Stake for Women and Babies – this report, also from Childbirth Connection, is an extensive resource for care providers and parents who want detailed analysis of the risks/benefits of vaginal vs. c-section births
- Dr. Buckley talks about how the hormones of labor create safety
- The VBAC series – helpful podcasts to help you plan a great VBAC
(NOTE: Want a Perfect Birth Plan Template? Use this template and step-by-step videos to write a birth plan that gets your birth team on your side for a beautiful birth experience! Get the birth plan kit here.)
First Breath by Matt Burtchaell
The tips, tools, and straight talk you want for pregnancy, childbirth, and bringing up baby