There are many supposed benefits to eating the placenta after birth – either fresh or encapsulated. In today's episode I share some benefits and some possible downsides to choosing to consume your placenta!
Topics I Cover in This Podcast:
- The purpose of the placenta during pregnancy
- How the placenta works on your side (the maternal side)
- How the placenta works on the baby's side – this is the “Tree of Life!”
- What happens to the placenta after the baby is born
- How to know when your baby is done with the placenta
- The placenta and postpartum hemorrhage
- Several options to consider with your baby's cord and the afterbirth
- Why many mamas are choosing to consume their placentas
- Positive hormonal effects from placental consumption
- The different types of placenta!
- Why some women choose not to consume placenta
- Basic thoughts on processing or choosing someone to process placenta
- Thoughts on cord clamping and lotus birth
- My personal choices with placental consumption
Things Mentioned on This Week's Podcast
- My articleo n preventing postpartum hemorrhage
- Repurpose Your Placenta by Ruth Goldberg, CNM – Ruth also has good resources linked from her site. Recommended!
- See pic just below for how I dried Sadie's cord as a keepsake – the little heart shape was spontaneous! We have chosen to bury our babies' placentas <3
(NOTE: Want a Perfect Birth Plan Template? Use this template and step-by-step videos to write a birth plan that gets your birth team on your side for a beautiful birth experience! Get the kit here.)
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below