Did you know that being outside in nature is good for babies - even newborns? In fact, it's essential for babies and children to spend time in nature exploring. This must-listen episode covers why being outside is vital for your child - and gives practical tips to make it happen!
Topics I Cover in This Podcast:
- Why being outside is vital to the lifelong health of your baby
- Attention problems, poor posture, high levels of aggression - these are just some of the problems caused by lack of outside time. Listen in for the full list
- How being in nature can overcome many problems seen in childhood today
- Why your childhood outdoor play set you up for far better health than most kids have today
- How being outdoors enhances your child's brain - and grows creativity
- Why having time to play freely outside is essential for helping kids become leaders
- The dangers of indoor overstimulation
- How nature stimulates in a safe and enriching way
- How to safely take your baby outside in any weather
- What the research says on letting babies nap outside
- Getting your older kids outside
- Resources to help you on your journey to more nature time
- Why YOU need to get outside, too!
Things Mentioned on This Week's Podcast
The meme I mentioned in the podcast:
- MamaBaby Birthing - my online natural childbirth class & coaching
- Great Pregnancy - my full course on having a great pregnancy. This course is now included in MamaBaby Birthing!
- Balanced and Barefoot - a MUST READ book for every natural-minded mama!
- Last Child in the Woods covers "Nature Deficit Disorder" and how it impacts our children
- Go to Sleep - my baby sleep course covers newborn, infant, and toddler sleep
- Katy Bowman - great information on how to incorporate movement into your life and make outdoors part of your routine
- 1000 Hours Outside - need inspiration to get outside with your kids? Love challenges? This one is for you!
- Loewenwood Forest Homeschool
- Ella's Wool - where I got my kids' wool longies from (My "woolies" are from Meriwool and I love them - I wear them every morning on our walk)
- Call of the Wild + Free: This beautiful book will inspire you, show you how to make room for the outdoors, and gives a helpful primer on homeschool life if you're interested in that!
- Free at Last - while I don't completely agree with democratic schools as a model, there is a lot of wisdom to be gleaned from this amusing and inspiring little book. It will also help you find the freedom to include outside time in your days <3
(NOTE: Want a Perfect Birth Plan Template? Use this template and step-by-step videos to write a birth plan that gets your birth team on your side for a beautiful birth experience! Get the kit here.)