The snacks on this list are all high in protein and take a little bit of time to digest. These kinds of snacks tend to help ward off morning sickness in early pregnancy. Then they help you to satisfy protein requirements in your second and third trimester!
- String Cheese
- Celery with Nut Butter (tree nut butters are best, but peanut butter is okay)
- Add Cream Cheese or a little Butter to the above for taste & good fats
- Pork Rinds (high in protein and salty can help queasy tummies)
- Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Deviled Eggs
- Macadamia Nuts (or Almonds, Cashews, any nuts!)
- Sausage Rounds (any cooked sausage style you like)
- Sardines (if you can tolerate them, get them packed in olive oil)
- Smoked Salmon
- Greek-style Yogurt (or whole fat yogurt, always get whole fat)
- Tuna, Chicken, or Egg Salad
- Pate, Liverwurst, or other high-protein sandwich spread
- Cottage cheese (extremely high in protein)
Eat real foods and stay away from protein bars and other processed foods. Most of these snacks are quick and easy to prepare and keep on hand, but yogurt cups (preferably plain) can be a good option if you need them.
If you will be out and about for awhile, take a cooler with some snack foods in it to help you keep your energy levels high and morning sickness at bay!
Photo by Joelk75