Continuous electronic fetal monitoring has been one of the darlings of modern maternity care – hailed as an invention for saving babies. But has it lived up to that fanfare? Is EFM really helping save babies or prevent brain damage? The evidence is out – and today we talk about the bottom line on this expensive and restrictive technology.
Topics I Cover in This Podcast:
- Understanding the different kinds of fetal monitoring
- Why the results of fetal monitoring studies were originally hidden
- What we discovered when the research was let out
- How continuous fetal monitoring can endanger mothers and babies
- Why the hypothesis behind EFM / CTG is flawed (plus what that means for babies)
- How to monitor baby if EFM is not used
- Why midwives and nurses are key to birth and baby safety
- You'll have a much clearer understanding of one of the biggest myths of modern birth!
Things Mentioned on This Week's Podcast
- Childbirth Miniclass & Natural Birth Playbook
- NBBC on Periscope!
- [raw]Optimal Care in Childbirth[/raw] – this excellent book covers what the research really says about care in childbirth. Check Chapter 10 for all the EFM information.
- Cochrane summary on EFM / CTG
- Cochrane summary on EFM vs. intermittent auscultation
- BBL 042: Baby's Experience of Childbirth
- Gloria LeMay's excellent article on EFM
- Fetal scalp stimulation test
- Timely quote on EFM shared by Sara Wickham
- Another gem about EFM shared by Sara
(NOTE: Want Real Mom Tested Techniques for Handling Labor Pain? Use these 11 proven natural childbirth techniques to handle labor and keep things moving right along. Get them here.)