Today I interview Mike Wombacher, author of the book Good Dog, Happy Baby and an expert in hands-on dog training. Mike has been training dogs in all kinds of situations for decades, but has found a special mission in helping families prepare their dogs for a new baby. Listen in for great tips on getting your favorite canine ready for your new little one!
Topics We Discuss in This Podcast:
- When Mike realized just how common it was for people to assume everything would be alright with dog and baby… and it how common it was for things to go wrong.
- Why many families are looking for guidance on dogs and babies
- How a new baby can impact a dog (and what you can do to make the transition easier)
- Why so many dogs get re-homed when a new baby arrives, and how you can prevent that from happening with your special dog
- A need-to-know stage of baby development that will make your dog anxious, nervous, and even fearful enough to nip
- Why the CDC classifies dogs as the #2 threat to child health
- How to know if your dog will be safe for your new baby
- What to do if you suspect your dog may not be able to cope with the transition
- Mikes #1 tip for families preparing for a new baby with a furbaby in residence
Things Mentioned on This Week's Podcast
- GoodDogHappyBaby.com – Mike's website where you can find out more about him, and download his free guide – A Pet Primer for New or Expecting Parents: 22 Essential Questions Every Dog Owner Needs to Ask
- Good Dog, Happy Baby – Mike's book on preparing your dog for your new baby's arrival
- 415-420-4768 – Mike's direct line, he's happy for you to give him a call to ask specific questions about your dog!
- Sign up for the NBBC newsletter
(NOTE: Trying to balance your pregnancy, life, and getting ready for baby? Use my checklist pack stay healthy (naturally), organized, and confident throughout your pregnancy! Get them here.)