Sherrie’s Baby

By Sherrie, USA

On January 21 2006 I found out I was pregnant. I knew almost immediately even before the pregnancy test. However I knew I was going to end up a single mom of not only one but two kids but I also knew I could handle it. 19 weeks I found out I was having another boy. My pregnancy was relatively nice compared to my first pregnancy. I was only in the hospital twice before I delivered.

On Sept 12th the doctor and I decided to induce me the next night. On September 13th I went in to the hospital at 6pm. My due date was September 26th so the baby wouldn’t be too early I was 38 and 1/2 weeks. I was 2 cm dilated 75% effaced and a -2 station. At 9 pm they gave me cervadil to help soften my cervix which I will never do again! It put me into labor but I didn’t progress at all! By 2 am I was miserable and since I knew that it wasn’t changing me I asked the nurse to remove it because the same thing happened with my first son! When the nurse removed it she agreed that I was still pretty much the same except I was almost 3 cm instead of 2.

I labored all night drug free because I didn’t want any drugs! At 7 am the doctor came in and said she would break my water at noon when she came to check on me next. After she left they started the pitocin. I lost my mucous plug soon after that. They only upped the pitocin once more because my contractions weren’t registering on the monitor also something that happened with my first pregnancy. At 10:30 AM I walked for 45 minutes. At 11:30 the doctor came in and broke my water I was 5 cm 85% effaced and a 0 station. They inserted an internal monitor to monitor the contractions. At 12:45 they checked me again and I was 6-7 cm they thought my labor had stalled. They offered me Stadol I had accepted they put it in the IV but it didn’t work no one could figure out why this was 1:10 pm.

I told them oh my god I have to push and the nurses were like no way they checked me and sure enough the baby was right there! The nurse delivered the babies head and the doctor showed up in enough time to deliver the rest of him and my beautiful baby boy Nathaniel Austin was born 9-14-2006 at 1:23 PM weighing in at 7 lbs. 1/2 ounce and was 18 1/2 inches long he was bald. lol. I cut the umbilical cord myself. After the delivery of the placenta I had trouble with bleeding, again something I had experienced with my first son.

So they gave me shots and pills to help stop the bleeding. I was able to breastfeed him within the first 30 minutes. I had made a birth plan and they followed it except for asking me if I wanted the stadol which was fine because it never went through the IV anyways the reason being during labor all the twisting and turning I was doing I busted my IV in half and didn’t even know it! It was 9 PM when I went 2nurse the baby that My hand had this horrible pain in it and I looked down and was like oh my goodness please take this out of my hand I had a bruise on that hand for 3 weeks! But overall my second birth was amazing I hope any future kids of mine are born naturally as well. I know I’m blessed to have two gorgeous boys and couldn’t have asked for a better birth experience!

(NOTE: Want a Perfect Birth Plan Template? Use this template and step-by-step videos to write a birth plan that gets your birth team on your side for a beautiful birth experience! Get the birth plan kit here.)

Handle Labor Pain

11 Mom-Tested Techniques to Handle Labor Pain... Naturally